Friday, June 18, 2010

A lesson in humility

So today we did a varity of things, sanding cement walls and washing them down in order to paint them, various cleaning and kitchen organization, I slipped to the roof for a little r & r with the sun, and then after lunch/supper (they only do breakfast and a meal around 2:00pm here), the girls went to help April with her ladies meeting. She was doing a devotional having to do with being right with one another and wanted to use foot washing to explain how we must often humble ourselves before another to keep things in the right. I believe that's the gist of it anyway, it was in Creole of course, so I can't be certain.

The girls were asked to help by give the ladies petticures after the devotional. Def. of petticure in this context is, washing feet, sanding, lotioning, massaging, and spritzing w/perfume. Now, considering that some ppl aren't as fond of feet as others, April graciously offered us an out if we wanted it. We simply had to serve the ladies snacks and drinks while they had their feet washed. I chose the out.

That of course leads us to my lesson in humility. Once the ladies were told about what we were doing, they all wanted a chance to wash their friends feet, so their were plenty of ppl going at it. Once they finished each other's feet, however, they needed new victims...I'm just kidding about the victims thing. Of course one of them just had to ask to wash mine, and so, begining with me they washed all the feet of the girls there, including every one that did the serving instead of the feet washing. It took me off guard and really made me stop and think. Why couldn't I simply humble myself and wash a stranger's feet? They were practically jumping at the chance to wash mine (and no they were just that dirty!). I hope that next time, I can learn to be a little more Haitian in my approach...

*********************************************************

Just so you know, it could be quite a while b/f I post pics. It's a little too complicated. I'll do my best to eventually though.

1 comment:

Alanna said...

Life-changing trip already, huh? Love ya!